Wednesday, September 19, 2007

By the pricking of my thumb...

So last week, it was 105 degrees Fahrenheit up here in the Great Hot North of California. This week, it is 65 degrees Fahrenheit, and the sky looks like something out of 'Something Wicked this Way Comes'. And so Fall begins in earnest. I have spent the better parts of the last few days in a daydreamy, whimsical, wanderlusty state as my favorite season has descended rather abruptly into my little corner of the world.

It happens this way every year - I can look in all the diaries and journals (online and off) that I have kept over the last mumblesomething years, and the theme is there. Suddenly, Fall hits, and there are seventy billion and one entries on leaves skirling, and rain falling, and the scent of woodsmoke, and the way sunsets are so much more spectacular when there are clouds, and....

Did I happen to mention that Fall is my favorite season? I think I might have before setting off on that purple prose journey, but I think it bears a little bit of extra mentioning. I love Fall. I love the turning of leaves (please let the wind not be so bad this week that I am deprived of full leaf turning), the smell of rain, a fire in the fireplace (I much prefer them there than in the neighbors field, yes, yes), fresh homemade hot cocoa...

It is the time of year that I look forward to the most, and it is where I am at my most restless. Fall comes, the air changes, and I fantasize about globetrotting trips, hiking in the wilderness, gallivanting about some distant city...heck, I fantasize about just getting in the car and driving until it is out of gas.

With Fall comes, as well, a sudden bout of knitter's startitis. I begin to covet, to hoard yarn, to loathe whatever thing is on my needles (Oh, Arwen! You are so very close to done...) and yearn to start every darn sweater I lay my beady little eyes on. I am being loyal though, this time. This year, I am finishing (no, really, don't faint.) Arwen, and dragging out the winter 2005 project from Cheryl Oberle that only has 1.5 sleeves to be done.

Does that mean I"m not starting things? Heck no! I'm casting on a red scarf in Nikko's Red Scarf Project's name. I'm also starting the tangled yoke sweater from Interweave Fall. But not until Arwen is done. And mom's birthday scarf. Really. I promise. Well, maybe a swatch isn't cheating....

1 Comments:

At Wed Sep 19, 04:49:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You *so* rock! Nikko will be thrilled! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home