Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bona Fide Knitting Content

Sans pictures, alas. But as promised - some real live knitting (And a little crochet) content. I started this week on what I have liberally and tentatively named the 'ten-year-jacket'. Anyone who knows my particular weaknesses when it comes to knitting projects, and fresh, yummy yarn, knows that I am far too often prone to project abandonment.

I found, while unpacking recently, no less than 12 items, on needles, that I had not started in 2006. The oldest, I think, was from 1999. So here we are at another of those 'reasons I blog' statements. I figure publishing my horrific record and the works in progress might, perhaps, a little, encourage me to finish them. So...

Here we are, the ten-year-jacket. The idea was born a year or two ago, when I was still working at/managing a chic little yarn shop in the South Bay found here: http://www.goknit.com. We had a lovely little mitered square children's sweater on display out of several colors of Koigu wool sock yarn. I liked the little sweater, I liked the idea of mitered squares, I thought....mmm...wouldn't that be nice, with maybe a little more variety in square sizes, as an adult sized jacket type thing? So I purchased a few (okay, somewhere around 15) skeins of different colors of this sock yarn. Which has sat in neat little balls in my stash until January, when my two baby boys (Of the feline variety) got into that bag and made string art all over the apartment floor.

This incident reminded me of two things:

1. I really ought to do something with this yarn, and having a distinct lack of intrest in actual socks, perhaps the jacket would do.

2. I really ought to get lockable bins for the storage of said yarn.

And so I got to thinking, and decided to get 'er done, as my Dad is so fond of saying. It took a while, but I came up, finally, with the idea of knitting all the squares individually, in three different sizes (1x1, 2x2, and 4x4) and then stitching them together after arranging them in a pleasing manner ala a crazy quilt. Which brings us to this week (yes, seven months later) and me, having started the squares. I have four so far, three one inch by one inch, and one two inch by two inch. At the rate of about a square a day, the jacket could conceivably be done by next year. I figure I am probably more likely the square a week, or even month, kind of person, hence the ten-year part of the name.

Now...in case you've made it this far, this is where I need help. Do I stick with two sizes, and just wind up making more of them? Or plunge forward with the three sizes idea, even though I am a bit afraid that a 4x4 square might be a bit, well, large as a colorblock?

It is Koigu, which means there's only one or two monochromatic (And I use that term loosely here) skeins in the whole mess, but...I quibble! So...advise is greatly appreciated. And I promise to attempt pictures of the squares, and the crochet poncho/shawl thing I am working on tomorrow.

See? And you thought there wouldn't be any crochet content after all that blathering. ;)

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 22, 03:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger Marie said...

I'm scouring the'Net to find a picture from TNNA of the gorgeous mitred squares jacket that everyone made a fuss about. It was made from several different sized squares...sounds like what you are talking about. If I find it, I'll send you the link.

M. :)

 
At Sat Jul 22, 03:39:00 PM PDT, Blogger CowGirlKnits said...

Oh boy Oh boy! I am sure it is very similar, and now I am dissapointed someone else has already done my fantabulous idea. Alas. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home